|Published||June 9, 2023|
Moderna is seeking a Principal Systems Architect, Tax, who will be based out of our Cambridge MA offices. In this role, you will take pride in staying on top of the latest technology trends while delivering innovative and transformative Digital solutions to support Direct and Indirect tax teams. Candidates will excel in this role are able to understand the complex challenges of global tax processes while marrying system capabilities to meet those needs.
This individual will collaborate with Commercial, Finance and Supply Chain, and Purchasing team to implement processes, technical solutions, and continuous improvement using SAP S/4HANA/Vertex and a variety of financial/tax applications. In addition, this role will collaborate with digital and finance/tax colleagues to establish foundational processes while building an innovative roadmap.
We are looking for a candidate who can deliver and be part of a modern, world class portfolio of digital innovations in the Finance and Supply Chain space, and who is excited to make an impact as part of a high-growth, transformational company that is Bold, Relentless, Curious and Collaborative.
Heres What Youll Do
- Evaluate and recommend industry leading solutions to meet global tax and statutory reporting needs
- Partner with business stakeholders to gather tax requirements and design, develop, test, document, implement and support solutions
- Proactively engage with Finance and Tax stakeholders to deliver compliant solutions for a growing number of global entities
- Understand business needs and lead thoughtful design discussions around exceeding business needs in a standard manner, fully leveraging SAP product capabilities as well as those from our tax engine and applications
- Monitor changes in statutory requirements and regulations to proactively address business needs in a timely and compliant manner
- Ensure adoption of best-in-class practices and standards for development, support, testing, and documentation
- Drive timely and proactive issue identification, escalation, and resolution
- Collaborate with Digital and Finance leadership to identify roadmap opportunities for continuous improvement
- Design and developreports and analytics for the tax function
- Work cross-functionally to collaborate on operational issues, support, and projects
Heres What Youll Need (Minimum Qualifications)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, Finance, Management information system or related field
- Minimum 8 years working with financial/tax business processes and tax systems in an SAP environment
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with SAP S/4 HANA platform
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with Vertex tax engine platform
- Experience working in the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry particularly in a global environment with contract manufacturers
Heres What Youll Bring to the Table (Preferred Qualifications)
- Strong direct tax, indirect tax and tax engine background with SAP finance/tax skill
- Extensive indirect/direct tax experience and knowledge with intercompany business, transfer price and manufacture process.
- Functional SAP expertise in tax, account payable, account receivable, General Ledger Accounting, period end close.
- Solid tax project experience associated with Sales & Use, VAT, GST, HST, Corporate tax, withholding tax, transfer price and more
- Expertise in Tax engine product -Vertex and have strong knowledge for Vertex solution of indirect Accelerator, Indirect Tax Chain Flow Accelerator, test suite, VendorRecon etc.
- Strong financial reporting skills especially in indirect and direct tax field
- Deep understanding of SAP FICO master data objects
- Experience in functional and technical configuration, integration, and deployment of Tax solutions.
- Experience identifying and implementing localization solutions for statutory requirements
- Experience with SAPs Advanced Compliance Reporting and Document and Reporting Compliance preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to work collaboratively within a team of cross functional stakeholders to influence decisions at every level of the organization
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects or workstreams in a fast-paced environment
- Proven work experience with SaaS systems, cloud applications, and digital integration
- Data and business process modeling skills strongly preferred
- Experience working in a regulated manufacturing life sciences environment is a bonus
- Digital Transformation/process change management experience preferred
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Comfortable under pressure
- Ability to effectively collaborate effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional Matrix environment
Moderna is pleased to provide you and your family with a comprehensive and innovative suite of benefits, including:
- Highly competitive and inclusive medical, dental and vision coverage options
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Lifestyle Spending Account funds to help you engage in personal enrichment and self-care activities
- Family care benefits, including subsidized back-up care options and on-demand tutoring
- Free premium access to fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness classes
- Exclusive preferred pricing on Peloton fitness equipment
- Adoption and family-planning benefits
- Dedicated care coordination support for our LGBTQ+ community
- Generous paid time off, including:
Vacation, sick time and holidays
Volunteer time to participate within your community
Discretionary year-end shutdown
Paid sabbatical after 5 years; every 3 years thereafter
- Generous Paid Leave offerings, including 18 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 401k match and Financial Planning tools
- Moderna-paid Life, LTD and STD insurance coverages, as well as voluntary benefit options
- Complimentary concierge service including home services research, travel booking, and entertainment requests
- Free parking or subsidized commuter passes
- Location-specific perks and extras!
Candidates should be aware that Moderna currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date. Moderna is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
In over 10 years since its inception, Moderna has transformed from a research-stage company advancing programs in the field of messenger RNA (mRNA), to an enterprise with a diverse clinical portfolio of vaccines and therapeutics across seven modalities, a broad intellectual property portfolio in areas including mRNA and lipid nanoparticle formulation, and an integrated manufacturing plant that allows for rapid clinical and commercial production at scale. Moderna maintains alliances with a broad range of domestic and overseas government and commercial collaborators, which has allowed for the pursuit of both groundbreaking science and rapid scaling of manufacturing. Most recently, Moderna's capabilities have come together to allow the authorized use and approval of one of the earliest and most effective vaccines against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderna's mRNA platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, and has allowed the development of therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases and autoimmune diseases. Moderna has been named a top biopharmaceutical employer by Science for the past seven years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com .
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a persons race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.